• Below is an FAQ for AB104 detailing the process for high school student grade changes from a letter grade to a Pass/No Pass for grades earned during the 2020-21 school year.

    Q: Who can request the grade change(s)?
    A: A parent, which includes the natural or adoptive parent or guardian, the person having legal custody, or other educational rights holder, or a student who is 18 years old or older, may request one or more high school grades received during the 2020-21 school year be changed to Pass or No Pass.

    Q: Who is eligible?
    A: Any student enrolled in high school during the 2020-21 school year,

    Q: What academic marks are eligible to be changed to a Pass (P) or No Pass (NP)?
    A: A grade of an A, B, C or D may convert to a Pass (P) and a Fail (F) may convert to a No Pass (NP).

    Q: How does the Pass / No Pass impact Grade Point Average GPA?
    A: The grade change cannot negatively impact a student's GPA. When an “F” is converted to a “No Pass,” the zero points are no longer factored into the GPA. Changing a “D” or even a “C” letter grade to a “Pass” will likely increase a student’s GPA, significantly in many cases, depending on the GPA the student had prior to the grade change. No grade changes will be made that lowers a student’s GPA. All students are encouraged to discuss this opportunity with their counselor.

    Q: Is there a limit to the number or type of courses eligible for the grade change?
    A: No.

    Q: When is the deadline for a grade change request to be made?
    A: The grade change application must be submitted to your child's school on or before Friday, October 29, 2021.  The school is required to make the change of a student’s grade within 15 days of the request and will notify the student and student’s parent/guardian that the grade was changed.

    Q: Where do I access the grade change request form?
    A: Find the fillable form here.

    Q: Where do I submit a completed grade change request form?
    A: All completed forms should be emailed to your student's counselor with email subject line: AB104 Grade Change. Find your student's counselor's email below:

    Alvord Alternative Continuation High School:
    All students | Anthony Recendez | Email: anthony.recendez@alvordschools.org

    Alvord Continuation High School:
    All students | Nathan Michel | Email: nmichel@alvordschools.org

    Hillcrest High School: 
    Last Names A-En | Teresa Bierbaum | Email: teresa.bierbaum@alvordschools.org
    Last Names Es-Lo | Arturo Avina | Email: arturo.avina@alvordschools.org
    Last Names Lu-Rh | Albert Montoya | Email: albert.montoya@alvordschools.org
    Last Names Ri-Z | Pam Prescott | Email: pam.prescott@alvordschools.org

    La Sierra High School:
    Last Names A-Em | Angelina Ugalde | Email: Angelina.Ugalde@alvordschools.org
    Last Names En-Lo | Victoria Anderson | Email:  vanderson@alvordschools.org
    Last Names Lu-Ra | Leticia Llamas | Email: leticia.llamas@alvordschools.org
    Last Names  Re-Z | Mr. Luis Velazquez | Email: lvelazquez@alvordschools.org 

    Norte Vista High School:
    A-Espinoza | Sandra Ruiz | Email: sandra.ruiz@alvordschools.org
    Esquivel-Magdaleno | Enedilia Medina | Email: Enedilia.Medina@alvordschools.org
    Mancilla-Razo | Naomi Romero | Email: Naomi.romero@alvordschools.org
    Rosales-Z | Ignacio Pelayo | Email: Ignacio.Pelayo@alvordschools.org
    9th Grade Counselor | Anthony Gasprini | Email: anthony.gasparini@alvordschools.org

    Q: Will CSUs, UCs and/or other postsecondary institutions accept a grade of Pass or No Pass for admission purposes?
    A: As per AB 104, California State Universities (CSUs) will accept for admission purposes, and without prejudice, a transcript with a Pass or No Pass grade instead of a letter grade for any coursework taken during the 2020-21 school year. However, this is not the case for all universities. UC colleges and private universities are encouraged, but not required, to notify the CDE over the next two weeks about whether they will accept Pass/No Pass marks for purposes of admission. See the list of universities below.

    For the 2020–21 through 2023–24 school year, the following colleges/universities in California have indicated they will accept P/NP grades:

    California State University Schools:

    • California State University, Bakersfield
    • California State University Channel Islands
    • California State University, Chico
    • California State University, Dominguez Hills
    • California State University, East Bay
    • California State University, Fresno
    • California State University, Fullerton
    • Humboldt State University
    • California State University, Long Beach
    • California State University, Los Angeles
    • California State University Maritime Academy
    • California State University, Monterey Bay
    • California State University, Northridge
    • California State Polytechnic University, Pomona
    • California State University, Sacramento
    • California State University, San Bernardino
    • San Diego State University
    • San Francisco State University
    • San José State University
    • California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo
    • California State University San Marcos
    • Sonoma State University
    • California State University, Stanislaus

    University of California (UC) Schools:

    • UC Berkeley
    • UC Davis
    • UC Irvine
    • UC Los Angeles
    • UC Merced
    • UC Riverside
    • UC San Diego
    • UC San Francisco
    • UC Santa Barbara
    • UC Santa Cruz

    Private Universities:

    • Saint Mary's College of California
    • Holy Names University
    • Pitzer College
    • University of La Verne
    • Westmont College
    • Santa Clara University
    • University of Saint Katherine
    • University of Southern California
    • ArtCenter College of Design
    • California Baptist University
    • University of San Francisco
    • La Sierra University
    • Mount Saint Mary's University
    • Stanford University
    • Azusa Pacific University