TK & Kindergarten Enrollment Information
Transitional Kinder and Kindergarten Registration
Transitional Kinder (TK) and Kindergarten (K) registration can be an anxious time for many parents, especially for first-time parents. The more prepared you are with the proper documents, the easier the process will be. Our elementary school personnel are there to assist parents with their questions and to help them get off to a good start.
Please note changes have been made to Transitional Kindergarten/Kindergarten Registration due to the COVID-19 School Closures.
Beginning, June 12th, registration for all NEW students will be completed on-line. Please continue to check the Alvord USD website and Alvord APP for updates on this process.
HOME SCHOOL: If you are not sure of your home school, please visit the School Site Locator web page.
AGE REQUIREMENTS: It is most important that your child meets the age requirements for starting school.
- If he/she turns five (5) on or before September 1, the starting grade will be Kindergarten (K).
- If he/she turns five (5) between September 2 - December 2, the starting grade will be Transitional Kindergarten (TK). Transitional Kindergarten in the first year of the students Kindergarten program.
- However, at any time during the school year, "a child who will have his or her fifth birthday after December 2, but during the same school year, may be admitted to a transitional kindergarten program" (CA Ed Code 48000 (c.3.B.i). Students will be enrolled once space is available at the school of residence. Priority is given to students turning 5 on or closest to December 3.
To prepare for registration, please have the following documents ready:
- Verification of Birth (certified copy of birth record, statement by the local registrar or county recorder certifying the date of birth, Baptism certificate, passport, when none of the foregoing is obtainable, an affidavit of the parent, guardian, or custodian, or any other appropriate means of proving the child's age)
- Proof of residence
- Utility service contract (City of Riverside/Edison) statement or payment receipts (current water, electric, or trash with the service address listed);
- Rental property contract, lease, or payment receipts;
- Pay stubs (indicating parent/guardian/caregiver’s address);
- Voter registration;
- Government Agency correspondence;
- Declaration of Residency; or,
- Co-Residency Supplemental form.
- Proof of immunizations /shot records
- An oral health exam
- Report of Health Examination for School Entry (which must be dated within six months prior to the start of kindergarten; or, eighteen months prior to the start of 1st grade)
- A copy the Individualized Education Plan (IEP) if your child receives Special Education service
Home Language Survey
If your child’s first language is not English, a Language Assessment Center staff member will contact you to make an appointment for language testing. The Language Assessment Center is located at 9 KPC Parkway, 1st Floor, Corona. For language assessment questions or concerns please call (951) 509-5084.
If your child is coming to Alvord with an IEP, your first step is to contact the Special Education Department. Please call (951) 509-5045 or email the department here. Also, please visit the Special Education web site here for an overview, program details, and contact information. If your child is coming with a 504 Plan, GATE notification, or a Dual Language Immersion letter of acceptance, or other specialty programs, please provide that information to your school site prior to the beginning of the school year or as soon as possible.
Upon completion of registration, your school personnel will provide you with important information about TK/K camps and parent orientation to help prepare you and your little ones for school. These events are usually held before school starts and they are essential for parent and student success. We encourage you to register early so you don’t miss out on any of the plans we have for you and your family as you begin these exciting years of schooling.