How Can I See My Counselor?

       As a student, how can I meet with my counselor?

    • Stop by your counselor's office before school, during lunch, or after school.
    • Email your counselor.
    • Do not come to see your counselor during class time without a pass.

     As a parent, how can I make an appointment with my child's counselor?

    • Call the main line at (951) 358-1755 and you will be transferred to your student's counselor.
    • Email your student’s counselor.

     What do I do if my counselor is unavailable when I need to talk to him/her?

    • Make an appointment using the main line and ask the secretary to schedule you. 
    • If it is an emergency please let the secretary know.


    Follow us on Instagram: @hillcrestschoolcounselors


    Grade Point Average 

    Overall GPA is the average of a student’s semester grades, starting with the freshman year. Hillcrest High School uses a 4.0 scale and a 5.0 scale. In the 4.0 scale, A=4, B=3, C=2, D=1.

    Hillcrest also has a 5.0 scale, which includes “weighted” grades for certain Honors and Advanced Placement classes.


    Student Transcript


    A transcript is a document that shows a student’s academic progress. Most transcripts detail courses, grades and credits completed by a student in each grade level. A copy of the student’s transcript can be obtained in the Guidance Office. This request can be made through the guidance secretary.


    CSU-UC College Entrance Requirements aka A-G


    “Courses from California high schools and online schools used to satisfy the "a-g" subject requirements must be approved by UC and appear on the institution's "a-g" course list. These courses are to be academically challenging, involving substantial reading, writing, problems and laboratory work (as appropriate), and show serious attention to analytical thinking, factual content and developing students' oral and listening skills.”(University of California website)

    For further information, please visit the following online resources or contact your child’s counselor:



    College Testing


    PSAT/NMSQT (Preliminary Scholastic Assessment Test/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test) is a practice test for the SAT I. It also determines National Merit semifinalists during the junior year.

    The PSAT is given in October and only offered once a year.

    The SAT or ACT are taken as a tool for college entrance and required by universities. These exams should be taken by December of your senior year. Community colleges do not require the SAT or ACT. Community colleges require their own assessment tests.

    See your counselor to determine which of these tests best suits your postsecondary plans.


     Requirements for Athletics


    NCAA Division I and II colleges can offer athletic scholarships. Before an athlete can play or receive an athletic scholarship at a Division I or II college, he/she must meet eligibility requirements for the NCAA and register for the NCAA Clearinghouse. If you are an athlete wishing to be recruited for college, please first talk to your coach. Then make an appointment with your counselor to review your transcript.