G. Stanley Wilson

    February 5, 1879 – September 22, 1958

    G. Stanley Wilson


    Born in Bournemouth, England in 1879, he came to Riverside with his family in 1895 at age 16.  He died on September 22, 1958.  G. Stanley Wilson was interred on September 24, 1958 at Evergreen Memorial Historic Cemetery, Riverside’s first cemetery.  He is buried along side many of the city’s founders.

    G. Stanley Wilson began his career as a carpenter in 1901 in Riverside. His first major project was Greystones, working for Donald J. McLeod, at 6190 Hawarden Drive.  His first important commission was a house for C.O. Evans, in 1908, at 4622 Indian Hill Road. The huge 10-room, two-story house was constructed of redwood, brick, and concrete, with a double-gabled roof and half-timbered walls.  In 1909, he opened his own office and began to work on projects for Frank Miller at the Mission Inn. He worked under architect Myron Hunt on the Spanish wing including the dining room and Spanish Art Gallery.  In 1915, he built his own home, a five-room bungalow on the southwest corner of Market and Fourth streets. He lived there with his wife, Mildred, and growing family. In 1926, they added a second story and in 1927, the Casa De Anza Hotel with several apartments was added next door. 

    Wilson obtained his architect’s license in 1923 from the International Correspondence School.  In 1924, he was hired as the architect for the Alvord School rebuilding project.  Records indicate that the Alvord School rebuilding project was Wilson’s first project.  Later, Wilson became Frank Miller’s architect at the Mission Inn and designed and built the Rotunda and the St. Francis Chapel. 

    Wilson also built many other notable buildings in Riverside that can still be seen.  Records indicate that all of his buildings, with the exception of Alvord School, are on the Riverside Historic List. 
    Some his works include:

             Park Avenue Baptist Church built of adobe in 1925 (3878 Fourteenth)
             Simmons Mortuary in 1925 (3610 Eleventh Street)
             Aurea Vista Hotel in 1927 (3480 University Avenue)
             Palm Elementary School in 1927 (6735 Magnolia Avenue)
             J.R. Willis Building in 1927 (4336 Market Street)
             Riverside City College Quadrangle from 1923 to 1950 (Terracina Avenue)
             Grant Elementary School in 1935 (4011 Fourteenth Street)
             St. Francis de Sales Catholic Church Convent and School in 1938 (3360 Twelfth Street)
             All Saints Episcopal Church in 1948 (3847 Terracina Avenue)