• Chafee Grant

    If you are or were in foster care and have financial need, you may qualify for up to $5,000 a year for career and technical training or college. You don’t have to pay this money back. You may also be able to use your grant to help pay for child care, transportation and rent while you’re in school. You can use your Chafee Grant at any eligible California college or university or career or technical school, as well as schools in other states

    How Do I Apply?

    To be considered for a California Chafee Grant, you must complete the following:

    • Submit the California Chafee Grant Application online; and
    • Submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online; or
    • If you do not have a Social Security Number (SSN), submit the California Dream Act Application (CADA) online. (Dream Act Id required to submit a Chafee Grant Application)
    • Have your school complete and submit the Chafee Need Analysis Report (NAR) (only for 2015-16 Chafee applicants)